Tuesday 27 April 2010

Seriously Simple

Why, when it comes to spirituality, do people get so serious and vexed and bent out of shape?

There's plenty of examples in the traditions of the world. Dozy Zen monks being beaten with sticks, guilty Christians whipping themselves, Bodhidharma supposedly tearing off his eyelids so he wouldn't lose awareness when meditating, the predominant image of Jesus being one of pain and suffering, Hindhus doing silly things to their bodies in the name of God.

I've taken things veeeery seriously in my pursuit of joy and peace. I have tried hard to be joy. I thought that I had to fight and strain against my mind, struggle and lock it down in order to experience peace.

I'm so grateful I met the Ishayas. I could quite easily still be starving myself, waking early every morning to do my yoga, criticising myself if I ever wanted to sleep in, or felt the urge to eat an icecream or a meat pie. I made myself sit cross legged and with a straight spine for an hour every day, even though sometimes my whole body cried out for relief.

Weird.

When I met the Ishayas I thought they were simple people. Simple as in stupid cos they were laughing all the time. I thought they might have something with this Ascension business, but obviously they didn't know what they really had because they didn't even take it seriously.

Makes me laugh now at my absolute arrogance. At least I gave Ascension a go because all that arrogance and harshness melted in the face of what the attitudes enlivened in me.

Ascension has given me an experience of complete presence, a beingness that simply takes over any limitation or self violence. There's nothing to do except choose for it and live. Its given me the ability to laugh at everything. Its given me total contentment of what is, exactly as it is.

The Truth requires no seriousness or hardness or processing or guessing or anything to experience it. It also needs no diet or exercise regime or any change whatsoever.

You need nothing else, except right now, choose an Ascension Attitude and live your life.

It is that simple.

You can just let go and trust that that is all that is required.

You can let go and trust that now is enough. Because now is not enough. It is everything.

I'm so grateful for that simplicity, I can't tell you.

No comments: