Tuesday 27 April 2010

"Why God, Why?"... When Life Hurts

I had the belief that the more spiritually advanced I got, the more my life would become free of challenge and sadness.

The challenges of life, big and small, haven't stopped. People I love die, grow old, get sick. I still have to pay the bills, I have to clean the toilet. Life in all its colours and shades continues. But my reaction to it has changed.

From what I have lived through, I can tell you this: Peace is possible in any situation. Painful events may be there, but ongoing, soul questioning suffering is, when it comes down to it, a choice, optional.

This is the invitation of all the world's teachers, and it's true: There is salvation.

When my mum died of cancer, I was surprised to find myself responding in the way I did. Rather than see it as a loss, the overwhelming response was of fullness, of celebration for her life. I was grateful for the time I did have with her, the fact that in no small way she helped make me what I am today.

It was an amazing experience, and one that came because of my Ascension practice.

When life hurts, it means we aren't accepting what is. We're fighting, we're struggling, we're shaking our fist at God and asking "WHY?". As Eckhart Tolle pointed out, the answer is always this:
If you can't change or leave a situation, the only solution is to allow and accept. Anything else is torture, and nothing or no one can stop the pain until you stop struggling. Everytime.

Ascension gives you this acceptance, just by your willingness to set aside the cares of the moment, step into presence and say an Ascension Attitude.

The more you gently immerse yourself in the Ascendant, the more you become non-resistance itself. God sees fit to place you here, and remove this person to here, so be it. No longer do you question and fight, but you find it simpler and simpler to allow, involve yourself in presence again and do what you can do. Life becomes free.

Of course, it is easy to make the choice for seeing the glass half full, to accept, to see the positive when everything is going well. Its a different kettle of fish when its not.
If its not easy, its time to get help. You don't need to do this alone.

It's worth getting that help. It's worth doing everything you can to be at peace. It's worth re-committing to your practice.

By making the choice now, you set your future ahead of you. This choice becomes easier and easier to make, no matter the situation.

Lao Tzu once wrote: "Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you".

You want that?

No comments: